CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

men of character cont.

I posted recently about my father-in-law and what a great guy he was. Well, I was so fortunate in life to have a wonderful father of my own. My dad was great; when I was little he could fix anything from broken barbie dolls to bicycles! It was later that I learned that he was really only human! I remember telling a friend that "My daddy is superman!" My dad was a little older than most of my friends' fathers. He was 34 when I was born and I was the oldest! My dad lost his own dad at the age of 9. He was murdered. I'm sure this affected Daddy very much, although he never talked about it. He was raised by a single mother and their home burned to the ground when he was a young teen. You know what though? He rose above it. He joined the Navy after high school graduation. After he was discharged from the service, he hitchhiked back and forth to Hinds Jr. College in Raymond. He then transferred to Ole miss and received his BBA. He went to work for Lawrence Printing for several years, retiring with them. He left for a short time during the fifties to open a service station in Cleveland, MS. My Daddy was a Christian and loved Jesus with all his heart. I still miss our discussions. If I ever had a question regarding morality or scripture, he was always there with an answer. If we missed him, he was usually in his study reading his Bible. If you asked him what denomination he was, he would tell you that he was a Christian who belonged to the Baptist church. He believed that the Baptist beliefs were the closest to the New Testament Teachings. He didn't quite hold to the tee totaling beliefs of the Baptists, though. He loved a cold beer! He taught 10 year old boys Sunday school for years. When asked to teach an adult class, he told them that nothing you teach a child is wasted, but an adult's heart is already hard and his mind is already made up. I learned after his death that one year for Christmas he bought Christmas presents for a relative who couldn't afford gifts for their children. He didn't want the kids to not have gifts at Christmas. He never told us this. I found out another time that a man came to our church in Greenwood looking for a little help. Seems this man worked in the printing industry and had a run of bad luck and was trying to get back home to chicago. Imagine, asking the church for help! Seems like a logical choice, but apparently not. The janitor, who knew the type man my daddy was, told the man to walk up the street to Lawrence Printing and talk to Robert Knox; he would help him. Daddy bought the man a bus ticket back to Chicago and fed him a meal before he left. He never told us this either. My daddy was a humble man who did things for other people just because it was the right thing to do. He never bragged about it, nor even mentioned it. I'm sure that there are other things that I never knew and may never know that he did for folks, but that's ok. He didn't do it for us. He did it for Jesus! He loved us and mama with all his heart; he provided for us and sent us all to college. He was so sweet. The last words I heard him say was, I love you and I don't know what I'd do without you. He died the next morning. I was devastated. It took me a good 9 months or so to get through church without crying. Every hymn reminded me of him. The worst time was when a soloist sang "The Holy City". Suzy Haynes sang this at Daddy's funeral because it was his favorite song. When I heard it again so soon, it just melted me.

The Holy City. S. Adams

"Last night I lay a sleeping, there came a dream so fair, I stood in old Jerusalem beside the temple there. I heard the children singing and ever as they sang, Me thought the voice of Angels from Heav'n in answer rang: Me thought the voice of angles from Heav'n in answer rang.
Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Lift up your gates and sing, Hosanna, in the highest, Hosanna to your king.
and then me thought my dream was changed, streets no longer rang, Hush'd were the glad Hosannas the little children sang. the sun grew dark with mystery, the morn was cold and chill. As the shadow of a cross arose upon a lonely hill. As the shadow of a cross arose upon a lonely hill. Jerusalem, Jerusalem, hark! how the angels sing. Hosanna in the highest, Hosanna to your king.
And once again the scene was changed; new earth there seem'd to be. I saw the Holy City beside the tideless sea. The light of God was on it's streets, the gates were open wide, and all who would might enter and no one was denied. no need for moon or stars by night, or sun to shine by day. it was the new Jerusalem that would not pass away. it was the new Jerusalem that would not pass away. Jerusalem, Jerusalem, sing for the night is o'er! Hosanna in the highest, hosanna for evermore, hosanna in the highest, hosanna for evermore!

Goodbye my sweet Daddy. I love you and miss you still!

0 comments: