CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My oldest son finished another semester of college this week. He didn't want to go. He didn't want to go to kindergarten, He didn't want to go to first grade, nor fifth grade. He just plain didn't want to go to school. I wonder sometimes if we had just left him alone, would he still be under the sycamore tree in the back yard pushing the big yellow tonka dump truck through the sand? It's funny how things work out. Coincidences? I think not. One thing we have stressed throughout his young life is to trust God with everything. He always works things out for the best even though we might not see it for a while, or maybe never in this lifetime. I know he has prayed for direction in his life and God has pushed in this direction. How do I know it's God? Well, I didn't think that he'd be able to pass the state tests required for high school graduation, particularly algebra. He has always hated math and always has done poorly. God put in his path a wonderful dedicated teacher, Pam Burns. Pam kept Jonathan after school every day of his junior year to help him. She tutored on Tuesdays and Thursdays for anyone, (and gave extra points on those days!) but she worked strictly with Jonathan on the other 3 days. I know some days he hated her and hated math and hated not being able to come home at 3:00. Well that April came and with it the state algebra test. I had been praying for him all year, and so had Pam. the time had come. I begged God to help him and just really didn't think he'd be able to do it. Well, I was driving on 82 towards Winona one afternoon worrying and fretting over that boy and a voice spoke to me, not audibly, but very real just the same. It said, "You are assuming he will fail." I got chills, because I knew at that moment God was chiding my unbelief. I told him that I was so sorry, that I knew that he was bigger than I was giving him credit for, and from that moment on, I didn't worry about that test. Fast forward to August, just before his senior year. Pam called me from the school. The teachers had already gone back and the students would be returning in a few days. She said, "I'm not supposed to tell you, but...not only did he pass the state algebra test, he scored proficient." Is God not awesome, or what????? proficient is just under advanced! This child showed a remarkable talent for welding as a young teenager. When he was able to take vocational classes at school in the tenth grade, he signed up for metal trades. He excelled in it! They asked him to represent the school at the skills USA competition that spring. He did not do very well. He didn't pack the right stuff and left some stuff out of his tool box and when they got to the competition, the welders were not at all what he was used to. they were ancient crackerboxes. He didn't give up, but took the second year class as a junior. Again he was asked to go to the skills USA competition and took first place in the district. The competition was held this time at Mississippi Delta Community College instead of Greenwood high school and the equipment was much more advanced, like what he was used to at Winona High. Of course, he was more mature and prepared better and knew what to expect. As a result of his first place finish, he was awarded a medal and a scholarship to study at MDCC. His metal trades teacher wanted him to train for the state competition with the welding instructor at Anel Engineering there in Winona. He worked with Ben Lewis for several weeks preparing for state. Ben recognized his talent and asked him if he wanted a job. Of course he jumped on it! He started off making twice what his buddies at the grocery store were making and doing something he loved. He worked after school from 3:30 to about 7:30 and they were very understanding concerning his school work. If for some reason he needed to miss, there was no problem. No one checked on this, but they think that he might have been the youngest welder in the state at 17! He continued to work through the summer and after school his senior year when Maury Hull approached him with a proposition. He wanted Jon to further his education. Jon just figured he would go to work after graduation so he was not too sure about this. He had the scholarship to MDCC, But Maury wanted him to go to East Mississippi Community college. East apparently was recognized as one of the top welding schools in the southeast, maybe they whole United states. They were the only community college who offered an associates degree in Welding and fabrication technology. MDCC only offered a certificate. Maury told Jon that MDCC couldn't teach him anything, he was more advanced than that. Maury told Jon that Anel wanted to help him with his education and pay for it. Jon and I went to see the school and talk to Mr. Gary Gammill, the instructor and his advisor. Jon immediately liked Mr. Gammill. Mr. Gammill pushed Jon to do things he didn't really want to do, like finish related studies and take the tests so he could get a diploma. He let Jon work for him after school building trailers to make extra money. Jon still worked some at Anel on Fridays before they cut production. After a while, he wasn't able to get many hours in at Anel, but Maury kept in touch to let him know that they were still there. All this time, Jon was praying for direction and he told me one day that I guess I'm supposed to be a welder, cause too many doors are opening up. I told him maybe for now, but maybe it is just a stepping stone to something bigger and better that he couldn't imagine just yet. Well, my sweet boy is starting to work there in a few weeks as the welding instructor for the Komatsu tank line. He will welding, too. He still is not too sure about the job, since he wasn't crazy about the starting salary. A plus, though is that they will pay for him to get his CWI certification, CWI being certified welding inspector. That is something that he can take with him regardless of where he works. Another test for me to fret over? I think that I am through fretting, or does a mother ever completely stop? I am trusting God to handle it because he is much better than I at working out things for the good for those who love him and are called according to his purpose. Don't think that I won't be praying for him, though! That I will never stop doing for sure. I am so proud of this boy. He has accomplished so much that I never thought that he would do. Now he is feeling a little sad that it has come to a close. Maybe not...

0 comments: